The library is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Parents are welcome to visit the library with their children for book selection, quiet reading, or homework every afternoon from 2:15 to 4:30 p.m. Parents with nursery students are welcome with their child at the end of their child’s school day.
The purpose of the school library media center at Cayman International School is to support the school community and ensure that students and staff are becoming life-long users of information. We provide the ability to:
- Conduct research for projects using the Web, database, and print resources
- Find great books to read
- Engage in collaborative learning
- Become effective and ethical consumers of ideas and information
- Have access to a certified librarian who can provide answers and assistance
- Students Nursery-Grade 5 meet with the librarian once a week or as needed for story time, library skills instruction and research collaboration with the classroom teachers
- CIS follows the AASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner. To learn more about these, click here.
- Those using the library must be respectful of other students by keeping voices to a minimum and by staying on task
- Students are to respect the library space as well as the library materials/resources
- In order to upkeep the high quality of the library space and materials, food and drink are not allowed in the library
The school library media center strives to provide students with a wide range of educational materials on all levels of difficulty and in a variety of formats. The policy for checking out materials is as follows:
- PK-4 : 1 book
- Kindergarten: 1 book for the first half of the year, 2 during the second half
- Grade 1 – 5: 2 books
- Grade 6 and up: 2 fiction books, 3 non-fiction
- Parents: 2 books per student
- The library also has a limited number of ipads available for student use. These electronic items must be returned at the end of the school day.